DISCUSSION FORUM

Doubt related to RBD

Doubt related to RBD

by Manoj Kumar -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of ONLINE COURSE-2021

In this part we have taken I.w   ...In this question centre of mass remains there at C . what if centre of mass will change then how the product I.w  will change ... About which point I and Omega to be calculated ...is it about centre of mass or any point about which we want to apply angular momentum conservation because we can choose any point in space for angular momentum conservation

In reply to Manoj Kumar

Re: Doubt related to RBD

by vishal deoarshi -
Picture of LIVE COURSE

Here the cm even if it is not at C will be at rest .you can always calculate mi about cm and w does not depend on point.so you can do it in the same way by conserving angular momentum about cm in this case where it is at rest both before and after collision

In reply to vishal deoarshi

by Manoj Kumar -
Picture of ONLINE COURSE-2021
Here the initial linear momentum was zero so the velocity after the collision of the centre of mass of the rod becomes zero.
but if we consider that initial and linear momentum is not zero then the velocity of centre of mass after the collision will not be zero then how the product Iw will change
In reply to Manoj Kumar

by TRAJECTORY EDUCATION -
in that case it wont be case of pure rotation and angular momentum will depend on the point about which you conserve angular momentum