Blog entry by john Adward
Whenever you set up Microsoft Office via Office.com/setup on your device, you may come across certain issues. Sometimes the problem arises in the form of error codes. If you encounter Error 1706 while performing Office Setup you may see the following message on your device:
“Error 1706- Setup can’t find the required files. Check CD-ROM drive or it is advised that you test your connection to the network.”
Causes behind the occurrence of Error 1706-
- The root cause of 1706 error is originally installed MS Office from a network administrative installation.
- When you try to use Office CD-ROM when the error is prompted by the Windows Installer.
- Presence of virus on your device.
- Unavailability of the network.
What can be done to rectify Error 1706?
Try to find a different administrative installation for the Office source file location- If the original admin network isn’t available you can use a different admin network. To do so:
- Turn on your Pc and tap “Start”.
- Type “Run” in the search bar of your device and click “Run”.
- Type “new network path\Setup.exe /fvm package name.msi” in the box that appears.
- Hit the “OK” button.
- Here you will see a new network path of the alternative network.
- The package name “.msi package” can be seen on the root of the admin installation.
- Now, the update will start automatically.
- Click “OK” when the update finishes.
After following the above-given procedure, Windows installer will use a new server location whenever you try to reinstall or add an Office setup feature to your device. If the procedure-1 doesn’t help fix the error, move to Procedure-2.
Use a CD-ROM to find the Office Source Location-Remove Office and reinstall Office from the CD-ROM:
- Close all the Office apps.
- Go to the Control panel of your device and double-click “Add/Remove Programs”.
- Double-click “MS Office or XP” product which has been previously installed.
- Click “Yes” to give consent for the removal of Office.
- On the completion of Office removal, click “OK”.
- Insert your Office setup disc into the CD-ROM.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup process.
To sum up-
For more details regarding error 1706, you can head to the MS Office community forum. If the above resolutions did not help you out then you can connect with the Office technical experts. Office experts will help you to resolve all your problems or visit office.com/setup.